You’ll love these soft, pillowy vegan pizza dough breadsticks served with caramelized onion cashew dip! Now, you might wonder if these breadsticks are worth the hassle. Yes, they are. If you are comfortable making pizza dough, these are a cinch to make!
Pizza Dough Breadsticks with Caramelized Onion Cashew Dip [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon light miso
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make the dough. Combine the warm water and maple syrup in a medium bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Set aside and wait for the yeast to activate. It’s ready when the surface of the mixture is foamy. If the yeast fails to activate, it’s likely because the water was too hot or too cold; if this happens, start over.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Make a well in the middle and add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Stir to combine, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Place in a clean, lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Place in a warm area of your kitchen and let it rise for one hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, make the parmesan and dip. To make parmesan, place the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt in a food processor and blend until a coarse meal forms.
- Transfer to a container until ready to use.
- To make the cashew dip, warm the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Turn down the heat as needed to prevent burning. In the last five minutes, add the minced garlic to mellow its flavor.
- Add the cashews, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, miso, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and caramelized onions to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more water as needed to create a mayonnaise-like consistency. Transfer into a container until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Punch down the dough, knead a few times, and divide into 12 equal balls. Roll each ball out into 8-inch long ribbons. Transfer the ribbons to the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, brush the breadsticks lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle on some cashew parmesan to coat. Return to the oven and bake 10 more minutes.
- Serve the breadsticks with additional cashew parmesan, warm marinara sauce, and caramelized onion cashew dip.