Perfect for welcoming the spring, these beautiful doughnuts are soft, sweet, and super easy to make! Once the ingredients are prepped they simply need to be poured into a doughnut pan and baked. Don't be put off by the idea of beet frosting, these doughnuts are delicious and the beets actually just provide the bright, pink color!
Pink Frosted Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg, (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, plus 3 tablespoons of water per "egg")
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
For the Icing:
- 1/8 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons cup beets, grated
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Combine the wet ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat and mix until the margarine is just melted.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.
- Scoop dough into an un-greased nonstick doughnut pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. They won't brown, but a toothpick or knife should come out clean.
- Let them cool before you ice them.
To Make the Icing:
- Let the butter sit in a blender or food processor while you make the doughnuts.
- Put the remaining ingredients in the blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Frost your doughnuts and serve, or keep in freezer.
- Beet Recipes