My Pineapple Island Kebabs will transport you to the land of sunshine and cool breezes. These Island Tofu Kebabs have their tofu (or seitan) and vegetables marinated in a sweet and spicy blend of orange juice, garlic, and ginger. I add pineapple to the veggies on the skewer for an added tangy tropical flavor. When pineapple is grilled, it becomes a whole new thing. So delicious! Use whatever makes you happy – tofu, seitan, tempeh, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, whatever. I love these served over rice that has red onion and pineapple chunks running through it. So when you fire up the grill today, tomorrow, or any day, make my Island Tofu Kebabs. They’ll make any day feel like you’re on a tropical island summer vacation. Enjoy!
Pineapple Island Kebabs [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pineapple Island Kebabs [Vegan]
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 1 Tbs. gluten-free tamari
- 1 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
- 3 scallions, white parts, sliced
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, grated or 1 tsp. ground
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 2 zucchini, cut into rounds
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 24 fresh pineapple chunks or 1-15 oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
How to Prepare Pineapple Island Kebabs [Vegan]
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Cut the tofu into cubes. Have all your other vegetables and fruit prepared. Place the tofu cubes into one storage bag or bowl and place the fruit and vegetables in the other. Add half the marinade into each of the storage bags or bowls. Make sure all the tofu and vegetables are covered in marinade. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour; the longer the better.
- While the tofu and vegetables are marinating, soak your bamboo skewers for at least 30 minutes so they won’t burn on the grill.
- When you are ready to cook, place the tofu and vegetables on the skewers in whatever pattern you like. I like to use the zucchini rounds as bookends. I usually follow a pattern similar to this: zucchini, tofu, pineapple, onion chunk, tomato, onion chunk, pineapple, tofu and zucchini. This way you get 2 pieces of each item on each skewer.
- Heat the oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Place 4 (or however many fit on your grill pan) kabobs on the grill pan and let cook until the tofu and veggies brown, about 5 minutes each side. Turn the kabobs carefully to make sure they cook on all sides. Serve with sides.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per one Kebab: Calories: 91 | Carbs: 14g | Fat: 4g | Protein: 4g | Sodium: 11mg | Sugar: 6gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.