Here are the key ingredients that make this cocktail so exotic and unique: coconut, pineapple and of course rum. And as if that would not be cool enough - this dreamy cake is of course also purely vegan!
Pina Colada Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 2 cups (not coconut cream!) or other vegetable milk
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup pineapple pieces (best from the tin)
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon
Pineapple Mascarpone Cream
- 2 1/2 cups vegan mascarpone
- 1 cup pineapple juice (also like from the tin)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut flakes). Stir in the coconut milk and sunflower oil with the whisk. Pour the resulting coconut dough into a prepared baking tin with removable frame. Bake at 360ºF for about 45 minutes.
- Allow the finished cake to cool completely. Remove the cake ring and cut the cake into three evenly thick trays.
- Cut the pineapple pieces into small pieces and puree with the hand blender. Use a tall jar so you do not spread the juicy pineapple all over the kitchen (been there, done that!). Mix this pineapple puree with rum and agar-agar powder in a small saucepan and heat with stirring. Once the mass is bubbling, remove from the heat and stir until it has cooled slightly, but not yet too firm.
- Put the lowest coconut soil back into the cake ring and spread the pineapple stuffing evenly over it. Put the second coconut soil on top and keep it cold while preparing the mascarpone cream.
- Beat the vegan mascarpone with the hand mixer until frothy.
- Mix pineapple juice with cornstarch and sugar and heat. Bring to a boil with constant stirring until the liquid thickens and assumes pudding consistency. Then pour this pudding into a bowl and stir until cold in the cold water bath.
- Mix the cooled pineapple pudding under the beaten mascarpone.
- Remove the layered coconut floors from the refrigerator and coat with a layer of pineapple mascarpone cream. Put the last coconut soil on it and press lightly. Let the cake cool again - 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 15 minutes in the freezer. You do not have to chill the mascarpone cream, otherwise it may become too firm.
- Take the well-cooled cake out of the fridge and lift off the cake ring. Coat the pretty layer cake with the remaining pineapple-mascarpone cream. Then generously cover the whole cake with coconut flakes (btw: how to decorate cakes with deco sprinkles, you will learn in my baking courses. Before serving you can garnish the cake with fresh pineapple slices and cocktail cherries.