The Philly cheese steak is an American classic; take a trip to Philadelphia and you will likely run into several stands hocking this savory, cheesy sandwich and you can even find restaurants that offer a plant-based version. But if you can't make it to the city of brotherly love, you can make this tofu cheese steak at home. Tofu is cooked in a savory sauce, then paired with caramelized shallots, sautéed bell peppers, and melty vegan cheese on a toasted bun. Hello, delicious!
Philly Tofu Cheese Steak [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 2 shallots, diced (or 1 small onion)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari, to make it gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Drain, rinse, and press the tofu. The other half of the tofu can either be used to make more ovegan Philly cheese steak, or cover it with water in an airtight container to be saved for another recipe.
- Cut tofu into squares about 1/4-inch thick and then slice each square into thin strips.
- Place the diced shallots in a medium sized frying pan with a teaspoon of oil. Fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- If you plan ahead and have extra time, you can leave them on low heat for an hour or a little more to let them caramelize.
- Cut the red pepper into strips about 1/4-inch wide and about 1/2-inch to 1-inch long. Once the shallots brown, add to the medium frying pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- During the last minute of cooking the peppers add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Now add the tofu to the pan, along with the soy sauce and nutritional yeast. Allow this all to cook for another 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the pan from heat and add in the vegan cheese shreds.
- Let your vegan cheese get a little bit melty and then give it a few stirs to mix it in. Then, add to a nice toasty bun of your choice (regular, gluten-free, etc...).