This pesto Portobello sandwich packs all the delicious flavors you love about Italian food in a filling and portable meal — with bread. Portobello mushroom caps are roasted until meaty and tender, then coated in a fresh basil-avocado pesto. Toast the bread, cover with the spicy red tomato sauce, add any additional fixings, and then dig in!
Pesto Portobello Sandwich With Spicy Sauce [Vegan]
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 5 basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Wash and slice the vine-ripe tomatoes and place on a pan. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, dried basil, sea salt as desired, and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Place in a food processor and blend with additional olive oil for desired consistency and add red pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Wash and clean out Portobellos and top with olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt, pepper, and garlic salt and cook for 15-20 minutes, face-up.
- Place bread in the oven 18 minutes to toast the bread
- In a food processor blend first blend garlic and pine nuts, then spinach, and basil, then add the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and olive oil for desired consistency, set aside.
- Once the mushrooms are done, slice and create layers with the pesto and top with arugula. Serve with spicy red sauce