This pesto and tomato swirl loaf is a cinch to make, but has great presentation! It's filled with sweet tomatoes and a flavorful pesto and then baked until soft and fluffy. Enjoy a slice toasted, buttered, dipped in sauce, or just straight from the loaf!
Pesto and Tomato Swirl Loaf [Vegan]
- Mix the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Rub in the butter and stir in the yeast.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the warm water. Mix together until a soft dough starts to form. Place the dough on a lightly-floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, this can take up to 10 minutes. Alternatively use a stand alone mixer or food processor with a dough attachment, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover, and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- While the dough is rising preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the tomatoes and place on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out in a strip as wide as your loaf tin. Spread the pesto evenly on the dough and place the tomatoes on top. Tightly roll the dough, place in the loaf tin and leave to rise for another 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- After the dough has risen, dust the loaf lightly with flour. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 400°F and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the bread is risen, golden brown, and sounds hollow when tapped.