Three staples in Puerto Rican cuisine are rice, beans, and meat. One popular dish is roasted pork (pernil in Spanish). Jackfruit is a type of fruit that has a texture similar to pork and chicken. This vegan pernil is delicious and tastes just like the meat version! It's also quite easy to make. Just buy canned pre-sliced jackfruit, marinate it with this pernil marinade family recipe, and roast it in the oven. This vegan pernil recipe will satisfy all of your cravings! It's so delicious!
Pernil [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cans young jackfruit
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 5-6 teaspoons garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the jackfruit from the can and rinse the off brine.
- Place the marinade and jackfruit pieces in a plastic bag and seal the bag.
- Marinate the jackfruit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour the jackfruit chunks and marinade onto a baking dish.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until fork tender stirring halfway to prevent the pieces from drying out.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Serve with your favorite side dish or add it to a sandwich.