Pepre watra is a fiery Surinamese soup that is packed with heat from chilies and umami from the seaweed broth. The light, flavorful soup is usually served over rice and make a perfect meal for a cool summer evening. Plus, this soup requires almost no prep work, simply toss all of you ingredients into a pot and let them simmer for a bit – it's that easy!
Pepre Watra: Surinamese Spicy ‘Fish’ Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Pepre Watra: Surinamese Spicy ‘Fish’ Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion or shallot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 adjuma pepper or Madame Jeanette pepper
- 5 allspice berries whole
- 3 branches celery leaves, chopped
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried wakame or other dried seaweed
- 8 1/2 cups water
- A few stalks bok choy, chopped
How to Prepare Pepre Watra: Surinamese Spicy ‘Fish’ Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- To begin, add the dried wakame to a bowl and cover it with water to let it rehydrate.
- Sautée the onion and garlic over low heat for about 2 minutes before adding the diced tomato and cook them for another 3 minutes or until most of the moisture has evaporated from the tomato.
- Now add the pepper (whole or chopped), dried allspice berries, chopped celery leaves, vegetable bouillon, rehydrated seaweed, and water (optionally add some chopped bok choy). Turn the water to a boil and let it simmer for about 50 minutes on medium/low heat.
- Add your salt and pepper to taste.
- Before serving the soup, remove the allspice berries.
- Sever it with rice, cassava bread or the way you prefer to eat your soup.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Hot Pepper
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.