This dish involves minimal steps, minimal ingredients, and gives you a gorgeous plate of penne that is chalked full of nutrients. The sauce is comprised of roasted beets and garlic that are blended with non-dairy cream and vegan cheese to make a rich decadent sauce. The dish is finished with some homemade Shiitake bacon.
Penne in Creamy Beet Sauce With Shiitake Bacon [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Penne:
- 3 medium-sized beets, cleaned and cut into a small dice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 pound gluten-free penne pasta
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 packages of Shiitakes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Slice the mushrooms, coat them with all the ingredients, and bake in the oven at 250°F for 30 minutes.
- Rotate the mushrooms in midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
To Make the Penne:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the rinsed and peeled beets in 1 tablespoon. oil.
- Season them with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wrap them in aluminum foil.
- Peel the garlic, and treat it as you did the beets.
- Roast the vegetables for 40 minutes. Check for doneness at the 30-minute mark.
- Transfer beets to a food processor.
- Soak cashews in hot water for a few minutes.
- Add the roasted garlic, cashews, nutritional yeast, half of the vegan parmesan cheese, and the two remaining tablespoons of oil.
- Pulse them until they're smooth.
- Transfer beet mixture to a small saucepan.
- Add the stock and almond milk and bring it to a light simmer.
- Add remaining cheese and another pinch of salt.
- Simmer it on low for about 2 minutes.
- Cook the penne until al dente.
- Drain it and return it to a skillet.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss it to combine.
- Top it with additional cheese and shiitake bacon.