Filled with natural sugars from the squash, packed full of vitamins and minerals to help you stay energized and happy. Not only is this stuffed squash extremely simple to make, it is also easy on the eyes, filled with fragrant flavors, and is gorgeous as a centerpiece. The pecan-stuffed slices are just stunning and adding that extra pop from the pomegranates adds a wow factor as well as a burst of fruity flavor!
Pecan Stuffed Butternut Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and skin scored out with a spoon
- 1 white onion, cubed
- 1/2 cup of pecans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 tablespoon garlic powder
- A dash of oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Finely chop your butternut squash flesh, chop your onion, and prepare your vegetables.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and let it heat. Add your squash, onions, pecans, tomatoes lemon juice, and seasoning to the pan and let it simmer on low heat for around 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Pack your mixture tightly into the gully of the two squash halves, then press them back together. You can also tie it together using twine.
- Rub your squash down with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, and season light with more thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bake in the oven on parchment or foil for two hours, or until completely soft.