Here's a classic combo of peanut butter and jelly in shortbread. The two flavors never fail and they sure make this shortbread irresistible.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Shortbread [Vegan]
- 8 tbsp. vegan butter
- 8-12 tbsp. natural peanut butter or peanut butter powder
- 1/4 cup maple sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the stevia, salt, whole wheat pastry flour and quinoa flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, peanut butter, maple sugar and vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides and with the mixer on low, carefully add the flour mixture until it comes together like pie dough. Add the dried cherries and process a bit more. If it seems too crumbly, add a 1/4 cup or so of water.
- Pat the dough into a thick rectangle, cover in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out (I divided the dough in two to make it easier) to a little over 1/4″ thick. Cut or slice into desired shapes and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes – rotating pans halfway through – or until crisp and browned lightly. Let sit on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.