Nut brittle is a common name for a snack consisting of different kinds of nuts coated by hard sugar candy, and it’s usually served in the form of broken pieces (hence brittle) from a big chunk.
Peanut Brittle [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Peanut Brittle [Vegan]
- 5 1/2-ounces sugar
- 3-ounces water
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2-ounces vegetarian/vegan butter cut into small pieces
- 3 1/2-ounces unsalted peanut (can be replaced with pecans, macadamia, etc)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
How to Prepare Peanut Brittle [Vegan]
- Add sugar, water, and salt into a saucepan, heat the mixture on medium heat, during the heating process don’t stir or move the pan. While waiting for the mixture to boil you can line a heatproof tray with parchment paper.
- First, you will see the sugar dissolved and the mixture will come to a rolling boil with lots of big bubbles.
- Then the bubbles will subside, and the mixture will start to turn from a light to a deep amber color, almost resemble that of syrup.
- When the mixture has changed to honey-like amber color, add baking soda and stir quickly to dissolve, and the mixture will foam up like in the photo. Then add the butter and mix well, the foam will subside and the mixture will become thick.
- All you have to do now is adding the peanut and mix quickly so that the caramel mixture evenly coat the peanuts, then remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into the prepared pan, use the back of a spoon to spread and level the mixture and let to cool.
- When the mixture has cooled down but is still warm and lightly soft, you can use a sharp and lightly buttered knife and cut it into pieces.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.