There’s nothing like Italian bean soup... or Italian anything. The combination of beans and sautéed vegetables creates the perfect balance of energy and endurance! This warm and comforting recipe will be a homemade favorite.
Pasta e Fagioli [Vegan]
- 2 to 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Sea salt
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- Generous pinch dried oregano
- Generous pinch rosemary
- 1/2 cup dried cannellini beans, sorted
- 4 cups spring or filtered water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pasta, such as small shells, orzo, acini, or elbows
- 1 cup diced dark leafy greens, such as kale, collards, or broccoli rabe
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh basil, leaves separated and minced, for serving
- Heat the olive oil, garlic, and onion in a soup pot over medium heat. When the onion begins to sizzle, add a pinch of salt and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the celery and a pinch of salt and sauté until shiny with oil. Add the carrot and another pinch of salt and sauté until shiny with oil. Add the dried herbs and beans, followed by the water, bay leaf, tomatoes, and zucchini. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the beans are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- When the beans are tender, season to taste with salt, and stir in the pasta and greens. Continue to simmer until the greens wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with basil.
To ensure the pasta is not mushy, cook it to 90 percent done and then stir it into the soup. In those last minutes of cooking, the pasta will be perfectly al dente.