This dish tastes just as good as a traditional eggplant Parmesan. Instead of bread crumbs, it is coated in an herbed almond meal that browns beautifully in the oven. Then, it is covered in savory tomato sauce, vegan mozzarella, and baked again until warm, bubbly, and melty. This is a perfect go-to dinner whether you are getting ready to host a party or simply sitting down with the family.
Paleo Eggplant Parmesan [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 medium thin eggplants, sliced thin vertically (so you end up with long, thin slices)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax, plus 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 ounces thinly sliced vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the flax egg into a shallow pie plate or dish.
- In a second shallow dish, combine the almond meal with the oregano and some salt and black pepper.
- Dip each eggplant slice in the flax egg mixture and flip to coat well.
- Then, dredge each piece in the almond flour mixture, again turning to coat well.
- Place the dredged slices on parchment-lined baking sheets in a single layer, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then flip the slices over and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the slices start to get crisp and golden brown. All ovens are different, so check your slices occasionally to make sure they don't cook too quickly.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, coconut sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the eggplant is done, remove it from the oven, and reduce the temperature to 350°F.
- Ladle some sauce into the bottom of a 13x11-inch baking dish (or a dish close to that size).
- Arrange eggplant slices over the sauce, putting them close to each other but not overlapping much.
- Spread some sauce over the eggplant. Layer some mozzarella over the sauce. Repeat with a second layer (and a third layer if you have extra eggplant).
- After you add your final layer of eggplant, finish with sauce, then mozzarella, and then sprinkle on the Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.