Yes, you read that right, eggplant noodles! This Chinese-inspired dish is low carb, paleo-approved, easy to make, and incredibly delicious. Eggplant noodles are tossed in a five-spice garlic sauce with broccoli, Shiitake, ginger, and scallions with a touch of toasted sesame. This feels as satisfying as a noodle dish, minus the carbs.
Paleo Eggplant Noodle Chow Mein [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Eggplant Noodles:
- 1 medium/large eggplant, peeled
For the Five-Spice Garlic Sauce:
- 1/4 coconut amino sauce (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
For the Vegetables:
- 1 broccoli floret chopped into small pieces. 2 heaping cups
- 8 ounces Shiitake, sliced and stems removed
- 8 ounces Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon very thinly grated ginger
- 4 scallions chopped on the diagonal
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- Cooking spray
To Prep the Noodles:
- Peel the eggplant then slice it lengthwise, on the thinnest julienne setting on a mandolin. Spread noodles out on two kitchen towels, salt liberally, let sit for 15 minutes, rinse in colander, drain, and place on clean towel to dry a bit. This is one recipe where eggplant is just fine slightly wet.
To Make the Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients well and divide into two portions.
To Cook the Noodles:
- Preheat 12-non-stickstick pan on medium-high and spray with oil.
- Add all eggplant noodles, cook stirring/flipping 6 minutes.
- Add half of sauce, mixing well.
- Cook 3 minutes more, transfer to a container, and set aside.
To Make the Vegetables:
- Increase heat to high, spary pan, add all mushrooms, and cook 7 minutes until browned.
- Add broccoli with 3 tablespoons of water, mix well, and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add scallions saute 1 minute, then move all vegetables to the edge of the pan.
- Mix oil grated garlic and ginger, add to middle of pan, and sauté for 45 seconds.
- Pour remaining sauce over garlic ginger and mix everything well.
- Remove vegetables from heat, add to eggplant noodles mix well, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and extra scallions. Serve warm.
Coconut aminos are a soy-free alternative to soy sauce or tamari. You can find them at specialty grocery stores.