Italian roasted bell peppers are a delicious recipe that can be served as antipasto, side dish, or can be used as a base for many other recipes such as delicious orzo salad with roasted vegetables, or a pasta with a bell pepper cream. In this recipe, you'll learn the easiest and fastest method to roast, peel, and marinate your bell peppers the Italian way!
Oven-Roasted Bell Peppers [Vegan]
- 4 whole bell peppers (yellow, red, orange)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 16 leaves basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 480˚F. In the meantime, wash your bell peppers and place them on a baking tray lined with a silicon baking mat or some parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. The peppers should be very well cooked and slightly burned on the outside.
- Straight out of the oven, put the peppers in a glass, steel or ceramic bowl. Cover the bowl with a well-fitted lid and let cool down for 20 to 30 minutes. The aim is to create a steam room for the peppers. The steam will help you take the peel off of the peppers. NB: don't put the peppers in a plastic bag. With the heat of the peppers, the plastic might release micro-particles that will end up in your food.
- With your hands, remove the peel off of the peppers. If you followed the steps above, peeling will be very easy and satisfying.
- After removing the peel, quickly rinse your peppers in water to remove small pieces of peel and the seeds. You can do this under running tap water, or in a bowl filled with water, but remember that the more you rinse, the more flavour you take away. So keep the rinsing to a minimum.
- Cut the peppers into stripes. The width is up to you. Arrange the peppers on a plate or in a bowl and start seasoning with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil leaves, crushed garlic cloves, fine sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Spread the seasoning around with your fingers.
- Before serving, let the peppers marinate for at least 20 minutes. You can prep your peppers several hours in advance if you want, or even the day before. If you do so, let them marinate in the refrigerator and take out 20 minutes before serving.