These peanut butter cookies on the half shell have a huge dollop of peanut butter oreo filling and no second cookie to get in your way. The crispy cookies are chocolaty and delicious and the creamy peanut butter filling is out of this world.
Open Face Homemade ‘Oreos’ With Peanut Butter Filling [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
For the Cookie:
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- sprinkles or nonpareils
To Make the Filling:
- Cream together the peanut butter and the shortening until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar in a little at a time, so as to not get powdered sugar everywhere. Cover the cream with plastic wrap and move it to the refrigerator to chill.
To Make the Cookies:
- Sift the cocoa powder, the brown rice flour, and the salt together.
- Stir in the brown rice syrup. Towards the end of stirring, you may have to knead with your hands instead.
- Cover this with plastic wrap and move it to the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Divide the dough up into tablespoon-sized balls. You should end up with 28-30. Place on a tray as you go.
- Using a piece of parchment paper and a cup, flatten the balls into disks. Preheat oven to 350°F and bake them for 7-8 minutes. The cookies may still appear slightly underbaked when done — this is a good sign. Do not attempt to remove them from the baking sheet until cooled, or else they might break.
- Once cooled, spread each cookie with a mound of peanut butter filling. Use a butter knife and keep a cup of hot water nearby to dip the knife in occasionally. This will prevent the knife from getting too sticky.
- Fill a zip bag with the chocolate chips. Immerse the bag in a bowl of very hot water until the chocolate is melted. Cut a small tip off the end of the bag and drizzle over the filling. Tap each cookie against the tray to allow the filling to spread.