This orange vegetable tagine with peaches is an earthy dish, full of grounding flavors like yam, pumpkin, chickpeas, harissa, raisins, and peaches. The perfect juxtaposition of sweet and savory! The great secret of an authentic tagine is to simmer the ingredients over a low heat so that everything remains deliciously moist and tender. If you do not have a tagine, feel free to cook the dish in a heavy casserole dish or dutch oven.
Orange Vegetables Tagine With Peaches [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Orange Vegetables Tagine With Peaches [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or a pat of coconut oil
- 1 large, or 2 small onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoons harissa
- 1 pound of pumpkin
- 2 yams, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound of carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 15-ounce can California cling peaches, quartered
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 heaping tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole chilis
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Chopped parsley, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Couscous, for serving (optional)
- Vegan yogurt, for serving (optional)
How to Prepare Orange Vegetables Tagine With Peaches [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan or a Dutch oven, cook the onion in oil until it turns translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for an additional 3 minutes, until they are beginning to color. Add the chickpeas, raisins, and harissa, and cook together for an additional 5 minutes.
- If using a tagine, transfer cooked mixture to the vessel, add the rest of the ingredients and just enough water to cover the base of the tagine, and cover with a lid.
- If not using a tagine, add the rest of the ingredients to your dutch oven and just enough water to submerge them. Cover with a lid.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes (vegetables should be fully cooked and tender, but still firm and holding their shape). Remove lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Topped with chopped parsley. Serve with couscous, or as is, with a squeeze of lemon on each plate and a side of creamy, cool vegan yogurt.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.