Hot, steamy rolls fresh out of the oven. Can you smell the citrus and sugar now? Serve these hot with tea or after dinner as dessert. The rolls taste even better the next day; the marmalade soaks into the rolls. YUM.
Hot Orange Marmalade Rolls [Vegan]
For the Rolls:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (softened)
- 4 tablespoons orange marmalade
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons melted vegan butter
- Take non-dairy milk, vegetable oil, and sugar in a deep pan. Heat until very hot. Turn off the heat just before it begins to boil. Let it cool until warm. Add yeast, stir, and keep for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of flour and stir well. Cover and keep for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add remaining 1 cup flour and stir really well to get a smooth wet dough.
- Keep the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour. It is easier to handle the dough when chilled.
- Generously dust your counter with flour. Transfer dough to the counter. Roll out into a rectangle as thin as possible.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of softened vegan butter evenly on the rolled dough. Now spread marmalade.
- Beginning at the end farthest from you, roll the rectangle tightly towards you. When you reach the end, pinch the seam together and keep the seam side down.
- Cut the log with a sharp knife. Cut 1/2 inch rolls. This log will give around 8 rolls.
- Grease one 9-inch round cake pan. Use a non-stick pan for the rolls to come out easily.
- Arrange the rolls in the pan. Cover and keep for 30 minutes to rise or until double.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 20 -25 minutes or until the top becomes golden.
- Remove from the pan after 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare glaze. Mix all the ingredients together to get a very smooth and pourable glaze. Adjust the quantity of icing sugar to get the right consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over warm rolls. Serve.