This dessert’s flavors remind us of ice cream trucks, drippy popsicles, and sticky fingers. But don’t wait until summer for the tune of “Pop Goes the Weasel” floating down your street to feel nostalgic. Bite into these dreamy cupcakes instead.
Orange Dreamsicle Cupcakes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Orange Dreamsicle Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the Orange Cream:
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- 1 each orange zest
- ½ cup powdered sugar
For the Vanilla Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan shortening
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 4 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the Vanilla Cupcake:
- 2 ¼ cups unbleached organic flour
- 1 ¼ cups organic sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup safflower oil
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 each orange zest
For the Candied Orange Peels:
- 2 whole naval oranges
- ½ cup organic sugar
How to Prepare Orange Dreamsicle Cupcakes [Vegan]
To Make the Orange Cream:
- Place all ingredients in mixer and mix well with whisk.
- Portion 2 tablespoons into each cupcake using a piping bag or a resealable bag with a cut tip.
To Make the Vanilla Frosting:
- Place shortening and butter in mixer using the whisk attachment and whisk until well-combined and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla, then gradually add powdered sugar. Stop occasionally to scrape sides of bowl and beat about three minutes.
- Scoop into a pastry bag (or quart-sized Ziploc) with star tip.
- Cupcakes will get a ¼ cup rosette.
To Make the Vanilla Cupcakes:
- Place all dry ingredients in mixer and mix for 2 minutes using the paddle attachment.
- Place all wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl and mix using a whisk.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients, including orange zest, into mixing bowl and fold in.
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake tin and fill each compartment leaving ¼ inch from top.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes at 350°F or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 2 hours.
To Make the Candied Orange Peels:
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the outside skin off the oranges.
- Slice peel as thinly as possible.
- In a medium sized pot, boil 2 quarts of water. Place the peels in a strainer and drop the orange peels into the water and blanch for 5 seconds.
- Immediately, remove the strainer and “shock” them into a bowl of ice water.
- Repeat, by dropping the orange peels and removing into the ice water 2 more times.
- After the third time, dry the orange peels out on the baking pan with clean paper towels on the bottom and top. Pat dry.
- Place the peels in a bowl with the sugar and toss. Make sure the peels are coated with sugar.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Spread the sugar peels evenly across the sheet pan.
- Slowly bake at 225°F for 17 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- With bottom of spoon, make a 1-inch hole in middle of each cupcake. Carefully press into body of cupcake to create a cave.
- Fill with 1 ounce Orange Cream. Do not overflow.
- Top with vanilla frosting. Then top frosting with 1 teaspoon chopped candied orange peels.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 215 | Carbs: 32g | Fat: 10g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 88mg | Sugar: 27gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.