You may not know it, but orange and basil are a great combination! Together, they fuse to create this lovely biscotti. Enjoy this biscotti in the morning with your favorite cup of coffee or as a tasty snack.
Orange Basil Biscotti [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cups almonds, chopped
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Zest of one orange
- 4 large basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and chia seeds. Place in refrigerator and let rest for 10 minutes until gelatinized.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Evenly place chopped almonds on a pan and into the oven to toast for 10 minutes, stirring them around after the first 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt, and ginger. Set aside
- In a separate bowl, whisk together raw sugar, melted coconut oil, orange zest, chopped basil leaves and the gelatinized chia egg.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix/knead until a dough forms. (If the mixture is too dry, add one tablespoon of water or non-dairy milk at a time until the the dough comes together).
- Form the dough into a rectangular log and use a knife to lightly score lines on the dough 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 300°F and slice along the scored lines. Place cookies on the cut side and back into the oven for 10 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Let biscotti cool and store in a sealed container for up for up to a week (to dunk in your coffee every morning). However, nothing beats the crispiness of a just-out-of-the-oven biscotti.