Here's an easy way to make a delicious Lentils and Rice dish. You can go easy on the chipotle if you want a milder version!
One Pot Mexican Lentils and Rice [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 cup rice
- 2 onions
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 and a half teaspoons salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Thinly slice 2 onions. Add them to a tablespoon of oil and cook over medium heat for 20-40 minutes, stirring regularly. Season them with pinches of salt throughout the caramelization process.
- Roast two tomatoes in a 400F oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of lentils to a heaping cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Drain and set aside.
- When the onions are mostly caramelized, add the two roasted tomatoes to a blender or food processor along with 2 chipotles in adobo and 4 garlic cloves. Combine well.
- Set aside some of the caramelized onions for garnish if you want.
- Add 4 cups of stock (or water) and one teaspoon of salt to the caramelized onions. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the parboiled lentils, the tomato-chipotle mixture, one cup of rice, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, a pinch of cinnamon, and some freshly cracked pepper. Combine well and then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Take a taste for seasoning (I added another 1/2 teaspoon of salt). Remove from heat, cover, and let sit in its own steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Yellow onions for this batch but you can try caramelizing white onions and they seem to work just as well. Season throughout the caramelization process, adding a pinch of salt at a time. (approx. 1 teaspoon total)