Oatmeal is very good for your heart and lowers cholesterol. Hence, oats are regular in my diet, but eating oats in a regular fashion gets quite boring, and since I like to try a variety of foods, I came up with Oats and Chickpeas Pilaf. When I thought of oats in a pilaf form I found it quite interesting and now I don’t miss rice at all. I also wanted to incorporate more protein into it, so I decided to go with garbanzo beans/chickpeas.
Turmeric Oats and Chickpeas Pilaf [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Turmeric Oats and Chickpeas Pilaf [Vegan]
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chickpeas, boiled, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
How to Prepare Turmeric Oats and Chickpeas Pilaf [Vegan]
- Dry roast the oats in a nonstick pan. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add mustard seeds. Just when the seeds start to crackle, add curry leaves, oats, and pilaf.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add turmeric powder, chili powder/paprika and salt and mix well.
- Add the chickpeas and sauté properly so that the chickpeas are properly coated.oats pilaf process 2.2
- Add roasted oats and mix gently but make sure that the oats are properly coated.
- Add water, mix properly and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. If you think the oats are slightly dry and not properly cooked add 1/2 cup water more but do no not exceed water more than 2 1/2 cups or else it will lose its pilaf texture.
- Mix in lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Red onions may also be used in this recipe. Paprika powder can also be substituted for chilli powder. Old fashioned oats can also be used if desired. Follow the same process.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Fat 14 G, Carbs 95 G, Protein 27 GNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.