Cardamom has an earthy taste with a bright citrus flavor. It makes a unique change from cinnamon in your breakfast oats. It is also a powerful antioxidant, and some studies show that it may help lower blood pressure. Excerpted from The Everything® Mediterranean Instant Pot® Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Oatmeal with Apple and Cardamom [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 large Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Pink Lady apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and heat oil. Add apple and cardamom and cook until apple is just softened, about 2 minutes. Press the Cancel button.
- Add oats, water, maple syrup, and salt to pot, and stir well. Close lid, set steam release to Sealing, press the Manual button, and set time to 5 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure until the float valve drops. Press the Cancel button, open lid, and stir well. Serve hot.