What do you do when you have an excess of beautiful, fresh local corn? You have a few options. You can make a bunch on the grill, in the oven or boiled, eat what you can and cut up, save the rest for your lunches ahead or.... YOU CAN MAKE ICE CREAM. Yes, you can. And you don't need anything fancy except 4-5 ingredients including all that corn! No ice cream maker either. This is NO CHURN, baby.
No Churn Sweet Corn Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 coconut milk can, refrigerated overnight
- 2 ears of corn
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of fleur de sel (or sea salt)
- Boil ears of corn until you can pierce with a fork, approx. 20 minutes or so, drain and set aside. When they're cool enough to handle, cut corn off of the cob and set aside.
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer so it gets cold!
- Puree the corn in a blender until smooth, and place in the fridge so it's at least room temperature and no longer warm.
- Once that's set, remove the bowl from the freezer.
- Grab your coconut milk can and carefully spoon out the top cream, do not use any of the water that's at the bottom - save it for something else. Add the cream to the cold bowl.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix the cream on medium-high so it becomes creamy and smooth.
- Add maple syrup to the cream, once blended in, add in the corn puree, followed by the vanilla extract. Stop the mixing once everything is smooth and evenly combined.
- Line a freezer safe container with parchment paper and pour the ice cream mixture into the lined container. Lightly cover with tin foil and freeze 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, let the ice cream thaw out for 5 minutes and then spoon into your cones or serving bowls! Last but not least, top it off with a little fleur de sel...mmmmm.