This decadent cake is 100 percent raw, gluten-free, and dairy-free! A creamy mocha filling sweetened naturally with Medjool dates sits on sweet and chocolatey mocha base of almonds and dates. It's topped with smooth peanut butter and homemade peanut butter cups, so you can have a little bit of each flavor in every bite! When served chilled, it's like ice cream cake, making it perfect for summer days.
No-Bake Peanut Butter Mocha Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 2 cups of pitted Medjool dates (about 20 dates)
- 1 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons of coffee (espresso, filtered or cold-brew, but not instant coffee)
- 1 tablespoon of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup of coffee (espresso, filtered or cold-brew, but not instant coffee)
- 2 1/2 cups of cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours or overnight
- 1/2 cup of pitted Medjool dates (about 5 dates)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup of plain peanut butter
For the Peanut Butter Cup Topping:
- 3 teaspoons of plain peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of vegan dark chocolate chips (preferably unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
- Mini cupcake paper liners
To Make the Base:
- Process 1 cup of almonds in a food processor until ground. Then, add the rest of the base ingredients and process until it forms an almost smooth paste with some small crunchy almond pieces.
- Line a springform pan with parchment paper. Spread and press the paste onto the bottom of the pan to form the base of the cake (you can wet your fingers to avoid getting sticky). Place the pan in the freezer while you make the filling.
To Make the Filling:
- Drain and rinse soaked cashews.
- Process the dates, almond milk, and coffee until smooth.
- Add coconut oil and cashews and process until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the filling evenly on top of the cake base. Place in the freezer again until fully frozen, about 3 hours.
To Make the Peanut Butter Cups (Optional):
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler and fill your cupcake liners halfway with the melted chocolate.
- Then, add the peanut butter until 3/4 full. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes to set.
- Fill the cupcake liners with the rest of the melted chocolate and place them 5 more minutes in the freezer. Remove paper liners when the chocolate is completely solidified.
To Serve the Cake:
- When the cake is fully frozen, remove it from the springform pan and spread the peanut butter on top of the cake. Leave cake in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. If serving another day, keep the cake in the freezer and transfer it to the refrigerator at least an hour before serving.