Nanaimo bars are a Canadian classic and here is a delicious vegan take on it! These bars require no oven, just rich ingredients and a little bit of time!
No-Bake Nanaimo Bars [Vegan]
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup almonds, soaked for 12 hours or overnight
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder, unsweetened
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 4 to 6 hours or overnight
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 dark vegan chocolate bar (preferably raw)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Coat a cake pan with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- Bottom layer: combine all ingredients in a food processor fitted with the S-blade. Process until the mixture is broken down and begins to stick together. Scrape down the sides of the food processor as needed.
- Press the crust into the bottom of prepared pan using a spatula. Cool in the fridge.
- Middle layer: rinse the soaked cashews and blend all of the middle layer ingredients in a clean food processor until you have a smooth cream filling (8 to 10 minutes). Spread the cream evenly on the top of the base and return to the fridge.
- Top layer: place the vegan dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small pot and melt down over low heat. Mix continuously so it doesn’t burn.
- Pour chocolate layer over the middle layer and sprinkle with cacao nibs. Cool.
- Allow the chocolate and the bars to firm up for about 3 hours (or overnight) before slicing. Keep bars in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.