These tarts have the perfect sweetness in the blueberry filling (but with no added sugar), and the bourbon vanilla shines through just enough that you know it’s there and it makes you smile. The pastry comes together well with the mix of the kamut flour, buckwheat flour and wheat germ and gets an extra dose of protein from the nut butter and healthy fats from the coconut oil. They're so delicious, I bet you they won't last very long!
No-Bake Bourbon Vanilla Blueberry Tarts [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup sprouted kamut flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup dates, soaked and pureed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon bourbon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon blueberry juice
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor with the dough hook and blend together until a clump of dough forms. If it stays a little too crumbly, remove it from the processor and work it with your hands in a mixing bowl. You can also skip using the food processor and mix it with your hands from the start. You want a smooth dough that sticks together easily and isn’t crumbly. If it remains too crumbly add an extra tablespoon of water or milk
- Begin by soaking 1/4 cup of dates in enough boiling water to fully cover all the dates. Let them sit for 20-30 minutes
- When the dates are softened, add the dates and soaking water to a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth and liquid-y.
- Add the liquid to a pot, add the vanilla and cinnamon and pour in the blueberries and blueberry juice. Cook over medium heat until most of the liquid has evaporated. It should look like a thick, runny blueberry syrup when you are done.
- Remove the filling from the heat and set aside to cool. When it is cool, spoon into each waiting tart shell and place in the fridge to set. Enjoy from the fridge, or warm slightly in the oven before serving if you prefer. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.