A perfect summer dinner. Avoid heating up the oven and throw everything on the grill for a quick char or make a summer feast in your oven. Guests coming tomorrow and no time to cook? This salad tastes even better the next day. Maybe even make enough to pick off of for a few days! Don't feel bound to use the vegetables here: Choose whatever looks best at the farmer's market and mix and match your favorite vegetables.
Nicoise Salad With Grilled Orange Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1/2 pound new potatoes, halved
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups White Button mushrooms
- 1/2 pound thin spring carrots sliced lengthwise.
- 1/2 pound zucchini and/or summer squash, sliced lengthwise.
For the Lemon Dill Dressing:
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons yellow miso paste
- 1-2 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
For the Orange Tofu:
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 cup orange juice, bottled is fine
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 squirt Sriracha
- 3 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
For the Optional Add-Ons:
- 1 bunch radishes, halved
- Red onion thinly sliced
To Make the Orange Tofu:
- Fire up the grill or heat up your oven to 450°F. Slice your tofu into 1/4 inch strips and place each on a clean a clean kitchen towel. Once all your strips are laid out on the towel, cover the tofu with another clean towel and place a cutting board on top to press any extra liquid out of the tofu and allow it to soak up more marinade.
- While your tofu is pressing place the orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, lemon juice, apricot jam, Sriracha and fresh ginger in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and allow to simmer and for 10 minutes.
- Dip the tofu strips in the orange marinade coating both sides and place on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Place your sheet pan in the oven on the highest shelf and roast 10 minutes.
- Pull from the oven, flip the tofu and roast 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven. If you are grilling then grill the tofu for 4-5 minute on each side.
- Remove form the grill or oven and brush with more marinade.
To Make the Roasted Vegetables:
- You do not have to use oil when roasting the vegetables but you can if you wish. You can use 2 large sheet pans for roasting the vegetables
- Prepare the vegetables while the tofu is cooking. Boil your halved potatoes for about 10 minutes until barely fork tender. Drain and place your potatoes into a sheet pan with the carrots, summer squash, and asparagus.
- Into the other sheet pan place your tomatoes, mushrooms, and green beans. Spread them out so they are in a thin layer. Roast your vegetables until just tender. Test every 6-7 minutes and remove once tender.
- Usually, green beans come out first, followed by zucchini and summer squash. Leave them in a little longer if you like a bit of char on your tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Last to come out are potatoes and carrots. Tongs are a wonderful tool for removing the vegetables as you go.
To Make the Lemon Dill Salad Dressing:
Place all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar, cap firmly, and shake until emulsified. Or place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until thick and creamy.