This version of New York-style cheesecake is creamy and rich but also light and fluffy. Vegan cream cheese and sour cream easily stand in for the conventional versions. The key is to bake the cheesecake in a hot water bath so that it cooks slowly and doesn’t crack.
New York Style Cheesecake [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter
For the Filling:
- 6 cups store-bought vegan cream cheese (see Tip)
- 1 cup store-bought vegan sour cream (see Tip)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
To Make the Cheesecake:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- To make the crust: in a medium bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt. Drizzle in the melted butter and mix until well combined.
- Place the crust in a 10-inch springform pan. Using the back of a measuring cup, press the crust into the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely for about 15 minutes.
To Make the Filling:
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, cornstarch, and salt. Start at the lowest speed and mix for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually increase the speed every minute until you reach the highest speed and everything is well incorporated. Then, return the machine to the lowest speed and add the flour and melted butter.
- Gradually increase the speed again until combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared graham cracker crust and tap the pan on a surface to remove any air bubbles. Next, place the springform pan in a deep roasting pan and add enough hot water, so it reaches halfway up the cake.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the sides are slightly firm, but the cake is still jiggly in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Strawberry glaze: In a pot, combine 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, 2 tbs sugar, 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil uncovered, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until mixture is thick, 10 to 12 mins. Once the cheesecake is baked and cooled completely, pour strawberry mixture over the top and refrigerate until set. - The key is to bake the cheesecake in a hot water bath so that it cooks slowly and doesn’t crack. - Store covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.