In this soup, you will find many ingredients that support detoxification and reduce inflammation within the body. This is exactly the support we need after a long month of eating and drinking the holiday nights away.
Anti-Inflammatory Detox Soup With Saffron and Turmeric [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon berbere
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head cauliflower, leaves removed, and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium/small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon agave
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- Generous pinch of saffron threads
- Fresh ground pepper and additional sea salt to taste
- Optional: garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, a drizzle of olive oil, or even toasted nuts/seeds
- Place the 1 cup raw cashews into the 1 cup broth and allow to soak 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, sauté the onion in the coconut oil over medium heat in a large soup pot until translucent. Add the turmeric, berbere, and curry powder, reduce heat and stir. Allow the spices to become fragrant. Add the garlic, making sure not to let it burn.
- Put the cashews and soaking broth into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour this liquid into the soup pot along with the onions, garlic, and spices. Add the cauliflower, the sweet potatoes, and the remaining broth and water and allow to simmer covered over medium-low heat until the cauliflower and sweet potato chunks are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the ingredients until desired consistency. Add the salt, agave, lime juice and saffron threads and stir well. Add fresh ground pepper and additional salt to taste if needed.
You can thin the soup with additional water to desired consistency. You just may have to add a little more seasoning.