No, your eyes aren't deceiving you — this cauliflower is purple and it doesn't call for food coloring, natural or otherwise. Purple cauliflower gets its color from the antioxidant anthocyanin, which is also found in red cabbage and red wine. In this simple recipe, cauliflower is tossed in a spicy-sweet mixture of mustard and maple syrup, then roasted until it's crispy around the edges. It can serve as a main for two with grains on the side or as a side for a large crowd. Just don't forget to serve it with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs!
Mustard Roasted Purple Cauliflower [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Makes 2 main servings or 4 side servings.
- 1 head of purple cauliflower (or other colors)
- 2 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon and freshly chopped parsley or cilantro, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Wash the cauliflower, then trim off the leaves and core. Cut the cauliflower into florets and place them on a large baking sheet.
- Whisk together the mustard, oil, and maple syrup in a small bowl, then pour it over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss everything together with your hands, making sure to evenly coat the cauliflower with the mustard mixture.
- Roast the cauliflower in your pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the edges have begun to caramelize and turn golden. Make sure to toss the cauliflower halfway through the roasting time to ensure it is evenly cooked.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley or cilantro and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice.