This veggie Wellington is packed with goodness, is super hearty, and absolutely craveable, and is a win, plant-based or not. Make this for your next party and it'll wow your guests, To top it off, the filling can be prepared a day in advance. It is as close to perfect as they come.
Mushroom Wellington [Vegan]
For the Potato Mixture
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups peeled and finely chopped white or red potatoes (2 large potatoes)
- 2 cups peeled and finely chopped carrots (3 to 4 large carrots)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (3 to 4 stalks)
For the Mushroom Mixture
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups finely chopped white and/or brown mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon beef- flavored concentrated vegetarian stock
- 1/2 cup red wine (merlot works well)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 sheets (10- × 15-inches each) vegan puff pastry, thawed (from a block of puff pastry)
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme, for garnish
For the Potato Mixture:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, melt the vegan butter over medium-low heat. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and scrape the mixture into a medium bowl.
For the Mushroom Mixture:
- In the same frying pan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mush-rooms soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the concentrated vegetarian stock, red wine, thyme, and sage.
- Cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the potato mixture.
- Stir in the panko crumbs and season with salt and pepper.
To Assemble the Mushroom Wellingtons:
- Arrange one sheet of puff pastry on a work surface with the long side facing you.
- Spoon half of the vegetable mixture length-wise across the lower-half of the pastry, leaving a 2- to 3-inch border, pressing the mixture together with your hands to form a roll.
- Fold the sides of the pastry over the filling, then roll it up, starting at the end closest to you.
- Repeat with the second Wellington.
- Place the Wellingtons on the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between them.
- Lightly brush the Wellingtons with the melted vegan butter.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the Wellingtons to a long plate or a platter and garnish with the fresh thyme sprigs.
- To serve, cut into thick slices using a large, sharp knife.
The filling can be made 1 day ahead. Keep in the fridge, covered.