If you're looking for a delicious pate recipe, this mushroom pate is it!
Mushroom Walnut Pate [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or olive oil (or a mixture of both)
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3-1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil -OR- 2 tablespoons fresh sage -OR- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon white miso (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or champagne to deglaze pan (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm vegan butter/oil. Add onion and cook until translucent (5+ minutes). Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are completely cooked (15-20 minutes). You can put a lid on your pan to help speed up the process. If the mixture begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, add a splash of water, broth, oil, or wine, and stir. Next, add garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper (and lemon juice and miso paste, if using), cooking for 1-2 additional minutes and stirring frequently.
- Turn off heat and set aside. To your food processor, add walnuts and give a few quick pulses. Carefully add your mushroom mixture and pulse until blended, but not pureed.
- Serve at any temperature with crackers or crusty bread. For a portable, crowd-pleasing appetizer, consider using this dip as a filling inside phyllo cups (can be purchased frozen as cups, and usually accidentally vegan!).
NOTES: If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop your mushrooms and walnuts more finely and mix together in your stovetop pan; the final result may not gel together, but will still taste wonderful and pair well with bread, crackers, etc.