You could use the sauce recipe as a replacement for canned cream of mushroom soup as well. Spoon it in to your favorite casserole, such as green been casseroles, or broccoli casseroles! But on top of the noodles, the cream is just incredible. This dish is bound to become a favorite in your household!
Mushroom Stroganoff with Cashew Cream [Vegan]
- 4 cups pasta
- 1 cup cashews (soaked all day, or over night)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp each: apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 16 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom or veggie broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, rinse soaked cashews until they water runs clear. Combine cashews, 1/2 cup water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, rice vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms over medium heat until their liquid evaporates.
- Mix together broth and flour. Poor over mushrooms, stirring constantly as it thickens. Let the broth simmer and bubble while stirring for 1 minute to cook the flour so the sauce won't taste paste-y.
- Stir cashew mixture into mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over cooked pasta.