These mushroom and nut burgers from Mark Bittman are the best of the bunch…so far, at least! They’re flavorful and moist while maintaining a “meaty” texture that is often missing from patties made from beans and potatoes. This recipe is both vegan and gluten-free friendly as written. The pastiness from the ground nuts helps to hold the burgers together…no need for eggs or flour or bread to act as a binder.
Mushroom & Nut Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Mushroom & Nut Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup oats (not instant)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and trimmed
- 1 pound button or cremini mushrooms; cleaned, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup nuts pecans or walnuts are good choices
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- oil for pan frying
How to Prepare Mushroom & Nut Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Use a food processor to grind the oats into a coarse meal. Empty into a large mixing bowl.
- In the same food processor, chop the garlic and mushrooms. Add to the bowl.
- Process the nuts until very finely chopped and beginning to form a paste. Add a little bit of oil or water if needed to help things along. (My food processor doesn't have enough "umph" to make nut butter, i stopped when the blade lost its effectiveness).
- Add the nuts, chili powder, salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients and evenly distribute the spices throughout. It will eventually form a ball.
- Refrigerate the mixture for at least 10 minutes. Then form into 4 - 6 patties.
- To cook, add some oil to a skillet over medium high heat and cook the burgers for 3 - 5 minutes a side or until nicely browned on both sides and heated through.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.