These mushroom and nut burgers from Mark Bittman are the best of the bunch…so far, at least! They’re flavorful and moist while maintaining a “meaty” texture that is often missing from patties made from beans and potatoes. This recipe is both vegan and gluten-free friendly as written. The pastiness from the ground nuts helps to hold the burgers together…no need for eggs or flour or bread to act as a binder.
Mushroom & Nut Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup oats (not instant)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and trimmed
- 1 pound button or cremini mushrooms; cleaned, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup nuts pecans or walnuts are good choices
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- oil for pan frying
- Use a food processor to grind the oats into a coarse meal. Empty into a large mixing bowl.
- In the same food processor, chop the garlic and mushrooms. Add to the bowl.
- Process the nuts until very finely chopped and beginning to form a paste. Add a little bit of oil or water if needed to help things along. (My food processor doesn't have enough "umph" to make nut butter, i stopped when the blade lost its effectiveness).
- Add the nuts, chili powder, salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients and evenly distribute the spices throughout. It will eventually form a ball.
- Refrigerate the mixture for at least 10 minutes. Then form into 4 - 6 patties.
- To cook, add some oil to a skillet over medium high heat and cook the burgers for 3 - 5 minutes a side or until nicely browned on both sides and heated through.