If you've been to an Indian restaurant, chances are you've seen butter masala on the menu. It's a rich and delicious gravy curry with a sauce made creamy through the addition of milk or cream and butter. This vegan mushroom butter masala is a spicy, creamy and delicious dish that is the perfect accompaniment for steamed rice, flatbread, or even dosas.
Mushroom Butter Masala [Vegan]
- 10 ounces, mushrooms, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 green chilis chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 big or 3 small tomatoes
- 7 cashews
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt, to taste
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil and butter in a non-stick pan. Add onion, garlic, green chili and ginger and sauté until translucent. Add a pinch of salt while sautéeing so that onion cooks faster.
- Add the mushroom and sauté until it develops some color.
- Meanwhile, grind the tomatoes and the cashews together adding a little water to form a smooth paste.
- Add this ground paste along with red chili powder, garam masala powder, and turmeric powder to the cooked mushrooms and onion and bring it to a boil. Adjust the salt and water for desired consistency. This might take about 4 to 5 minutes
- Add the non-dairy milk and again bring to a boil. Finally, add the dried kasuri methi/fenugreek leaves, mix well, and cook for one minute or until you get the desired consistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 868 | Total Carbs: 79 g | Total Fat: 54 g | Total Protein: 13 g | Total Sodium: 1797 g | Total Sugar: 14 g (Per Serving) Calories: 217 | Carbs: 20 g | Fat: 14 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 449 g | Sugar: 4 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Hi there. I have tried the recipe today, It turned out to be fantastic. Thank you for posting the recipe. Will check out the other ones too.
This was absolutely delicious and extremely easy to make. Finding the ingredients were a little tough. You\’d basically have to go to a place that has Indian products or an Indian grocery. Patel Brothers is a famous chain in the Northeast which has locations in every major city/town with an Indian community. And BECAUSE IT\’S VEGAN, it cooks SO fast !! We had to add a little bit of chilli powder since we LOVE spicy flavors. To shake things up, we added Tofutti sour cream to give that creamy flavor most restaurants do.
To be honest, I thought i wasn\’t gonna taste very good because my finished product didn\’t look like the pic, but let me tell you,… this was absolutely delicious11. I used shitake mushrooms, added some chopped cilantro at the end and served it with brown rice and roasted cauliflower. Thumbs up!!