In this recipe, ruby-red rice is transformed into a Moroccan-inspired paella. Saffron, smoked paprika, and cinnamon combined with fire-roasted tomatoes and roasted red peppers add the perfect touches to this savory dish. With the added artichoke hearts providing both bulk and a meaty texture, this would be the perfect meal to bring along to a pot-luck!
Moroccan Red Rice Paella [Vegan]
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- A dash of cinnamon
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup red rice, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (fruit-sweetened if possible)
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 roasted bell peppers, chopped
- Artichoke hearts (optional)
- Heat a small amount of vegetable broth in a medium deep saucepan (fitted with lid) and bring to a boil.
- Add carrot, garlic, and spices and sauté for a few minutes. Add tomatoes, red rice, cranberries, and salt to the saucepan.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Simmer on low with the lid on for 40 minutes.
- Top with roasted red pepper and artichoke hearts, if using, then return the lid, and cook for another 20 minutes. Serve immediately.