This classic cake recipe is fun and easy to make, and of course very tasty! One advantage of this cake is that it’s mixed and served from the same baking dish. Top this cake off with frosting, powdered sugar, or your favorite vegan ice cream.
Mocha Almond Cake [Vegan]
For the Square Cake:
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa (check the label to make sure it's pure with no sugar added)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee (or 1 teaspoon espresso powder; adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
For the Ganache:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, grated or cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegan spread, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Handful of sliced almonds for garnish
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in the 8 x 8 inch pan. Make three wells and add the oil, vanilla and vinegar. Pour the water over top.
- Stir well to make a batter. Use a spatula to help mix the dry ingredients along the sides and bottom.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes. The center may collapse a bit, but a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Let cool completely before adding the ganache.
For the Ganache:
- Melt the vegan spread and chocolate together in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat the sugar into the melted chocolate, adding the almond milk as needed to smooth it out. You can do it by hand, but it's easier to use a mixer. The ganache should be thick and spreadable, but not runny. Add more powdered sugar a little at a time if needed.
- Spread on top of the cake and distribute the almonds over top.