This jambalaya an easy dish to make for a dinner party, and it’s filling to boot. You can mix and match the proteins to your preference or to use what you have on hand. I like to use Italian sausage and chicken-flavored seitan, but you can use tempeh, tofu, or even red beans as the center attraction if you want. You can use white jasmine rice, but any rice will work. Brown rice will require a little more cooking time, but it adds tons of nutrients.
Mix-and-Match Jambalaya [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 or 3 large vegan Italian sausage links, cut into half-moons, or steamed tempeh cubes
- 1 to 2 cups (225 to 450 g) cubed chicken-flavored seitan, store-bought or homemade, or cubed firm tofu marinated in 2 tablespoons (12 g) vegan chicken flavored bouillon
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces, or 406 g) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke or smoked paprika
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chipotle chile powder (to taste)
- 3 cups (705 ml) water, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- Salt and pepper, to taste 1 11/2 cups (293 g) uncooked rice
The Night Before:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer. Combine the sautéed onion and cut-up sausage, tofu, and bell peppers in a large airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
To Prep the Dish:
- Combine the sautéed onion, sausage, seitan or tofu, bell peppers, tomatoes, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, paprika, red pepper flakes, water, bouillon, and salt and pepper in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 1 hour before serving, add the rice. If the mixture looks dry, add 1 to 2 cups (235 to 470 ml) extra water. Turn up the slow cooker to high and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour longer. Check occasionally to make sure it doesn’t overcook. Taste and adjust the seasonings.