What do you do if you're craving something that is rich and bursts with umami? Make this vegan miso ramen bowl! The combination of miso, dried shiitakes and a tiny amount of soy milk does the trick. Plus, the Tellicherry black pepper tofu gives it a nice kick. Complete with miso-glazed bok choy and sautéed shimeij mushrooms, this vegan ramen will have you wanting more before you've even slurped the last noodle.
Miso Ramen Bowl With Tellicherry Black Pepper Tofu [Vegan]
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 small chilies, finely chopped
- 3 ounces dried shiitakes, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- Soy sauce or tamari to taste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- Toasted sesame oil
- Freshly ground Tellicherry pepper
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- 2 chilies, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Generous amount of Tellicherry pepper
- Spring onions, finely chopped
- 5.3 ounces ramen noodles
- 3.5 ounces shimeji mushrooms, lightly sautéed
- Spring onions
- Bok choy, rubbed with miso paste and lightly sautéed
- Sliced green chili
- Julienned carrots (optional)
- Seaweed (nori) squares (optional)
- To make the broth, bring 1 tablespoon sesame oil to a medium heat and cook the garlic, onion and chilies in it until fragrant. Add the dried shiitakes and stock and bring to a simmer. Lower a fine mesh sieve into the pot and dissolve the miso paste into the broth through it, by gently pushing it tough with a spoon. Let the soup simmer for 25 minutes, then add the soy milk and season with soy sauce to taste.
- To make the tofu, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and let stand in the fridge for 20 minutes. Then place the tofu cubes on a baking sheet and roast at 374°F for 20 minutes, turning them halfway.
- Cook the ramen noodles to package instructions (do not use the flavoring).
- To serve, place the noodles in a bowl, ladle the broth over it and arrange shimeji mushrooms, spring onions, sautéed bok choy and the tofu (and the carrots and the nori squares).