What do you do if you're craving something that is rich and bursts with umami? Make this ramen bowl! The combination of miso, dried shiitakes and a tiny amount of soy milk does the trick. The addition of Tellicherry black pepper tofu gives it another kick. Perfectly balanced with miso-glazed bok choy and lightly sautéed, delicate shimeij mushrooms, this ramen will have you wanting more even before you've slurped up your last noodle.
Miso Ramen Bowl With Tellicherry Black Pepper Tofu [Vegan]
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 small chilies, finely chopped
- 3 ounces dried shiitakes, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- Soy sauce or tamari to taste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- Toasted sesame oil
- Freshly ground Tellicherry pepper
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- 2 chilies, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Generous amount of Tellicherry pepper
- Spring onions, finely chopped
- 5.3 ounces ramen noodles
- 3.5 ounces shimeji mushrooms, lightly sautéed
- Spring onions
- Bok choy, rubbed with miso paste and lightly sautéed
- Sliced green chili
- Julienned carrots (optional)
- Seaweed (nori) squares (optional)
- To make the broth, bring 1 tablespoon sesame oil to a medium heat and cook the garlic, onion and chilies in it until fragrant. Add the dried shiitakes and stock and bring to a simmer. Lower a fine mesh sieve into the pot and dissolve the miso paste into the broth through it, by gently pushing it tough with a spoon. Let the soup simmer for 25 minutes, then add the soy milk and season with soy sauce to taste.
- To make the tofu, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and let stand in the fridge for 20 minutes. Then place the tofu cubes on a baking sheet and roast at 374°F for 20 minutes, turning them halfway.
- Cook the ramen noodles to package instructions (do not use the flavoring).
- To serve, place the noodles in a bowl, ladle the broth over it and arrange shimeji mushrooms, spring onions, sautéed bok choy and the tofu (and the carrots and the nori squares).