Making vegan gravy isn’t that hard when you throw some miso into the mix! Its complex salty and earthy tones infuse enough flavor into the gravy that the absence of meat drippings becomes irrelevant. This recipe is perfect for the fall and winter holidays or just anytime you need some comfort.
Miso Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 cup flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 tablespoons barley miso paste
- Bring all ingredients except the miso to boil over medium heat.
- Once boiled, remove from heat, stir in miso until dissolved, and let cool a little bit (about 10 minutes). Place in the blender and blend until smooth (about 1 minute).