These mini pizzas use eggplant as the crust instead of bread. They're sliced and roasted into lightly crispy on the outside, but creamy in the inside, then topped with tomato sauce, mushrooms, and savory Italian herbs. While these are great for anyone, they're especially good at ensuring that your kids get plenty of their daily veggies.
Mini Eggplant Pizzas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 mushrooms
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Black olives
- Tomato sauce
- Thyme, basil, and oregano, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Pumpkin seeds, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Slice the eggplant into even 1/3-inch rounds.
- Lightly salt each side of the eggplant rounds. Let them sit on the towel for 15-30 minutes to "sweat" some of the water out.
- Press down on the eggplant slices with the towel to squeeze out some of the water.
- Place the rounds onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan, and top the rounds however desired (sauce, cheese, vegetables, etc...).
- Place the pan back into the oven for about 10 minutes, until toppings have cooked through.