These are divine, and they are reppin' the world of desserts that don't include chocolate. The non-cocoa players need love too! What we've got is a gluten-free crust made with buckwheat groats and almonds. That's filled up with a creamy, decadent cream of coconut, cashews, sweet lemon juice and garnished with mint leaves, lemon zest and dried lavender flowers. AH, that sounds SO PRETTY when I type it out.
Meyer Lemon Coconut Cream Tarts With Mint and Lavender [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (if desired)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (preferably from Meyer lemons since they're sweeter)
- A few mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- To make the crust: put the oats and almonds into a high speed blender and blend until it turns into a thick, slightly crumbly paste. If needed or desired, add a little maple syrup, then press into two tartlet molds or whatever shapes/molds you like. Put in the fridge.
- To make the lemon coconut cream: put the coconut and cashews into your high speed blender and blend until it turns into a thick paste/butter. Stir in a 1/4 cup lemon juice and the maple syrup until evenly combined (or blend it in). If you'd like more lemon flavour, add more lemon juice! I like mine quite tart - no pun intended, seriously - so I used a full 1/2 cup. Spread this mixture evenly into your crusts, then let them sit in the fridge overnight or for at least a couple hours so the flavours can get to know each other. Garnish with mint, basil, lemon zest, maple syrup or whatever else you like! Life is good!