Mexican night is our favorite, and this crunchy salad is a welcome change from traditional salads. It’s spicy, sweet, and smoky—and there isn’t any lettuce involved! The corn, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, and fresh herbs make this a healthy and gluten-free side dish.
Mexican Street Corn Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (180 g) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 large onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup (16 g) minced fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup (75 g) paleo vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (58 ml) well-shaken canned full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) mild salsa verde
- 2 teaspoons raw vegan honey or sweetener
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup (34 g) pickled jalapeños
- 1/4 cup (16 g) tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- To make the salad, rub each ear of corn with the olive oil and sprinkle with the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Wrap each ear individually in aluminum foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To make the dressing, combine all the dressing ingredients in a food processor and blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine the bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro in a serving bowl. When the corn is done, unwrap the ears and allow them to cool.
- Stand each ear on its end in a shallow dish and cut the kernels off the cob. Add the corn to the salad and pour the dressing over the top.
- Mix well to coat everything. Garnish with additional cilantro.