This is the perfect way to change up that usual tofu scramble. It makes a wonderful brunch, but this meal would also make a delicious dinner served buffet style. Everyone could pick and choose their own ingredients to make their perfect plate. Sunday or a weekday brunch or dinner, whenever you make this, it will turn your ordinary day into a fiesta!
Mexican-Spiced Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- 2 packages of extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tbsp. safflower oil
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. Mexican chile powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. black salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1-4 oz. can green chiles
- 1-15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then cook the scallions, bell pepper and garlic for about 3 minutes until softened. Break the tofu into large chunks and add to the pan. Toss it so it’s covered with the aromatics and then let it sit so it browns a little before flipping it. When it browns after about 5 minutes, toss the tofu to let it brown on all sides.
- While the tofu is browning, make the spice mix in a small bowl or cup. Increase or decrease the amounts based on how spicy you like your food. Nutritional yeast and flaxseed are optional but healthy additions if you have them. Add the spice mix to the pan and toss the tofu to evenly distribute the spices. Add 1 cup of water to the pan and stir. This helps the spices distribute evenly and moistens the scramble. The water will cook out.
- Mix the green chiles and the black beans into the tofu scramble. Let cook about 5 minutes until all the ingredients are heated through. Stir in the cilantro. Serve while hot.