You know those days where you just can't seem to get warm, no matter how many sweaters you bundle yourself in? Hearty, spicy soup to the rescue! This is a super-fast, easy to make, perfectly slurpable soup. (Yes, you will be slurping this one.)
Mexican Noodle Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 14-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cup vegetable stock
- 4 ounces rice noodles
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add cabbage and cook until slightly softened, about five minutes.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, and spices to the pot and stir to combine. Let cook for five minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add noodles. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until noodles are cooked.
- Stir in red onion, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls, and top with avocado to serve.
If you want some crunch, I recommend crumbling a few tortilla chips on top. The noodles will keep soaking up the broth until they cool, so store leftovers in the fridge immediately. And don’t be startled if your soup turns into a noodle pot as you eat. Just add a splash more broth when heating the leftovers.