The tofu scramble is a meal that's simple and versatile, and the fact that it’s almost foolproof makes it a great recipe for new vegans and a tried-and-true favorite for longtime vegans. Black salt is great for giving your scramble a sulfuric, eggy taste; nutritional yeast adds just the right amount of nutty cheesiness. This recipe is my favorite scramble with a Mediterranean twist. Serve it with pita bread and a side of olives and dolmas for a platter you won’t soon forget.
Mediterranean Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mediterranean Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- One 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, or more as needed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black salt (Kala namak) or regular salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, optional
- 1/4 cup (20 g) nutritional yeast, optional
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups (60 g) roughly chopped fresh spinach
- 6 canned artichoke hearts (about one 14-ounce/395 g can), rinsed, drained, and quartered
- 1/3 cup (35 g) sliced sun-dried tomatoes (if hard, rehydrated in water until softened)
- 1/3 cup (60 g) assorted sliced olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
How to Prepare Mediterranean Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Crumble the tofu into the pan. Cook, stirring gently until the tofu is not releasing any water and is beginning to brown on the edges, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small cup combine the broth, basil, oregano, cumin, black salt, paprika, and turmeric. When the tofu has stopped releasing water, add the broth mixture. Cook for about 5 more minutes, until the tofu has absorbed the liquid. If it begins to stick, add another tablespoon of broth to deglaze the pan and reduce the heat.
- Add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Fold in the spinach, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook until the spinach just begins to wilt. Remove from the heat, mix in the olives and capers, and serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.