Picture a Mediterranean platter with all the fix-ins: chickpeas, olives, roasted peppers, garlic, and yumminess. This is that platter in a SANDWICH. This Mediterranean-flavored sandwich ticks all the boxes. Light yet hearty, packed with protein and iron, low in fat, easy to make, and delicious!
Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1-14 ounce can of chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 red roasted pepper (from a jar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Slices of your favorite bread (gluten-free if needed)
- Mixed greens
- Place drained chickpeas in a blender with garlic cloves, olive oil, and lemon juice. Whizz to a paste.
- Transfer chickpea paste to a bowl. Blend in chopped olives, pepper, and basil leaves.
- Season to taste.
- Spread on your favorite bread with some mixed greens.
Spread will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.